The Bridge Flat-Old Corn Mill, Oakworth, Yorkshire

슈퍼호스트

Nicole님이 호스팅하는 공동 주택 전체

  1. 최대 인원 6명
  2. 침실 2개
  3. 침대 3개
  4. 욕실 1개
집 전체
아파트 전체를 단독으로 사용하시게 됩니다.
청결 강화
에어비앤비의 강화된 5단계 청소 절차를 준수하겠다고 동의한 호스트입니다.
초고속 와이파이
속도가 61Mbps이므로, 일행 전체가 영상 통화나 동영상 스트리밍을 즐길 수 있습니다.
셀프 체크인
열쇠 보관함을 이용해 체크인하세요.
Our beautifully converted Mill building in Oakworth set within a half-acre garden incorporates a gorgeously private 2 bedroom flat. The Old Corn Mill, which houses Bridge Flat, has in fact over time had several uses - from a shuttle mill, to a workshop for the once grand estate of Sir Isaac Holden. We live in the flat above, so close enough to ensure you have everything you need, but with your own entrance & parking area, you would think you were staying away from it all, in the countryside.

숙소
Oakworth is perfectly situated close to the historic cobbled main street of Haworth, in the heart of Bronte Country, just up the road from the 'Railway Childrens' Oakworth Station, and backing onto Holden Park - a victorian creation of formed caves and walkways, housing a play park, bowling green, and incorporating Holden Park woods.

The flat offers a wonderful base for guests looking to explore the local area, with charming independent shops, pubs and restaurants as well as venture out into the beautiful Yorkshire Dales.

Oakworth is ideal for mountain biking with many tracks and trails starting from the doorstep, also the area is popular with road bikers too, indeed the local area has been used when the tour de France visited the UK and the local roads feature regularly in the annual tour de Yorkshire road race, we can offer guests secure bicycle garaging with sockets for E-bike charging on request.

It is a 5 minute drive to the rugged ‘Wuthering Heights’ moors, which inspired the English literary Bronte sisters, with commanding views from Top Withens. Just around the corner is the famous Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, an authentic steam railway brought to prominence in the film The Railway Children.

You will find Haworth Main Street within a 20 minute walk or 2 minute drive, with the Bronte Parsonage Museum, Haworth Church and some wonderful shops and eateries. For the active, there are lots of breathtakingly beautiful walks and cycle routes right from the door of the flat.

Haworth hosts many themed events throughout the year. The 1940’s weekend in May is extremely popular and transports you back to 1940’s wartime, complete with the outfits, music and vehicles from the time. Haworth also hosts the 1960’s weekend in June, ‘Hawortheen’ at the end of October and ‘Steampunk’ in November. Haworth’s Victorian Christmas really gets you into the Dickensian Christmas spirit with events including ‘Scroggling the Holly’ and the ‘Torchlight Procession’. The ‘Santa Special’ at Keighley and Worth Valley Railway is also much loved by families.

The Yorkshire Dales National Park is a 15 minute drive to the north. The market town of Skipton, named "The Gateway To The Dales", is a true gem with Skipton Castle and many interesting shops. Bolton Abbey is picturesque and only a short drive. You can also enjoy a visit to Ilkley, Halifax, Saltaire, Hebden Bridge and a little further afield are Harrogate and York.

숙박 장소

침실 1
퀸사이즈 침대 1개
침실 2
이층 침대 1개

숙소 편의시설

공원 전망
계곡 전망
주방
초고속 와이파이 – 61Mbps
건물 진입로 무료 주차 – 5대 주차 가능
55인치 HDTV + 아마존 프라임 비디오, Apple TV, 크롬캐스트, 넷플릭스, 프리미엄 케이블 TV, 일반 케이블 TV
전용 파티오 또는 발코니
공용 뒷마당 - 울타리 미완비
여행 가방 보관 가능
어린이용 책과 장난감

접근성

게스트 출입구까지 통로에 조명 있음

체크인 날짜를 선택해주세요.

여행 날짜를 입력하여 정확한 요금을 확인하세요.
체크인
날짜 추가
체크아웃
날짜 추가

38개 후기에서 별 5개 만점에 4.95개

청결도
정확성
의사소통
위치
체크인
가격 대비 만족도

호스팅 지역

Oakworth, 잉글랜드, 영국

Oakworth is a village in West Yorkshire, England, near Keighley, by the River Worth. The name "Oakworth" indicates that the village was first established in a heavily wooded area.

Oakworth railway station is on the route of the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway and was a location in the film The Railway Children.

In the Domesday Book of 1086, Oakworth is called "Acurde" which translated into an Oak clearing. It was taxed on c120 acres (c50 hectares) of arable ploughland shared by the Vikings Vilts and Gamel Bern. Vilts also owned Newsholme and Utley; and Gamel Bern was of the family of noblemen that held the most land in Northern England. However, later, the Domesday Book states of Oakworth lands that "Gamal Bern had them; Gilbert Tison has them" for in the Harrying of the North all lands were taken from Anglo-Scandinavians and given to Norman Lords.

Bridge Flat @ Old Corn Mill sits in the designated area covered by Oakworth conservation area of historical interest:
• Oakworth is thought to be a settlement of some antiquity and may well be Saxon in origin. After the Conquest, the Manor of Oakworth was passed to a Norman Lord, Gilbert de Tison. Oakworth was noted in the Domesday Survey and is known to have been a large manor extending from Keighley to the Lancashire border. From the 13th century onwards the woodlands were systematically cleared in order to cultivate the land.
• Little is known of the early history of the settlement, though it is likely that Oakworth originally comprised of a cluster of small agricultural hamlets located around the main road along the Worth Valley. The tenants and freeholders in these settlements would have worked the land under an open field system and paid taxes and allegiance to the Lords of the Manor. From the 16th century onwards farmers began to supplement their income by the production of woollen cloth.
• By the early 19th century the Worth Valley was one of the main producers of woollen cloth in the district. Several worsted and cotton mills were constructed along the banks of the stream to the south of the village and cloth manufacture swiftly evolved from a small- scale cottage-based industry into an efficient mill-based concern. During this period the village expanded rapidly and a large number of houses, mainly in the form of terraces were built.
• Two non-conformist chapels were constructed in the early 19th century, followed by an Anglican chapel in 1846. Schools were established at an early date in the settlement, the first being the Methodist Free School at
Sykes Head in 1790, which was paid for by public subscription.
• Though sadly no longer standing, Oakworth House was a fine example of Victorian architecture and was built between 1864-74 for Sir Isaac Holden, creator of the world’s largest wool combing business and noted philanthropist. The house was built in an elegant Italianate style with hot houses and a large winter garden to the rear. The gardens and parklands of the house were locally renown and drew visitors from all over the district. Sadly the house burnt down in 1909 and the land was donated to the people of Oakworth in order to create a public park, now called Oakworth Park.
Oakworth is known to be a settlement of some antiquity and is probably of Anglo-Saxon origin. Historically, Oakworth fell within the ancient Wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewecross and was formerly a manor of substantial size, stretching from Keighley to the Lancastrian border.
The name ‘Oakworth’ is thought to be a derivative of an Old English term meaning ‘enclosure of oaks’ and was first mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086. Its entry has been translated to read as follows:
“Manor in Arcade (Oakworth) Gamelbar and William had one carucate to be taxed”
One ‘carucate’ is thought to equal around 100-120 acres in size. Following the Conquest, William divided the lands in the north of England between his Norman lords and knights and the manor at Oakworth, along with the neighbouring manor of Neuhuse (Newsholme) was passed to a Norman lord by the name of Gilbert de Tison (Keighley, 1879).
Though little is known of its early history it is thought that the Pennine landscape around the
8
10th century would have been mainly forested and habitation in the manor would have been sparse. By the time of the Conquest it is likely that some development had taken place in the Worth valley and that small settlements, perhaps no greater in size than a single farm holding, would have existed within the manors of Oakworth, Oxenhope and at Stanbury and Haworth. There is certainly evidence of an early open field system at Oakworth indicating that the land was enclosed and probably cultivated for farming and grazing purposes. However, it is likely that the population of the manors was very small until the middle ages as the relatively small amount of cultivated land would not have supported large communities. From the 13th century onwards major inroads were made into the ancient woodlands that cloaked the hills and valleys of the north of England. Vast swathes of woodland were systematically cleared in order to increase the land area under cultivation and for firewood (Keighley, 1879).
In 1316 the manor was passed to John de Vaux and then afterwards to the Copley family, who also owned lands at Batley and Oxenhope. By this time a permanent settlement had probably been established at Oakworth and that it may well have consisted of a handful of farmsteads and cottages scattered along the line of the ancient route between Lancashire and Keighley. The inhabitants of these early dwellings would have worked the land as tenants and paid allegiance and taxes to the Lord of Manor. Though some produce may have been sold at the market in Keighley, which was established in 1305 it is likely that Oakworth remained a small, almost self-sufficient farming community for many more centuries.
By the 16th century, the settlement’s reliance upon agriculture as a sole source of living began to diminish as the production of textiles became established on a greater scale. Prior to this time woollen cloth had always been manufactured in traditional textile producing towns such as York and Beverley, however rising costs in these centres meant that other smaller villages and towns started to produce cloth. Small scale cloth combing, spinning and weaving enterprises began to flourish in the West Yorkshire
towns of Leeds and Halifax. This was swiftly followed by the systematic development of the Pennine valleys and many farmers in these villages began to supplement their income by the production of woollen cloth. It was estimated (from evidence produced in a Court Case in 1612) that by the early 17th century there were 20,000 employed in the cloth trade around Bradford, Halifax and Keighley (Baumber, 1977).
The changing livelihoods and socio-economic structure of many of the Pennine villages during the 17th and 18th centuries impact not just upon the livelihoods of the residents but also upon the architecture of their buildings. Many farmers supplemented their incomes by combing and spinning wool in their own homes and indeed some families were entirely dependent on the cloth industry with each family member, young or old fully involved in the production of cloth to sell to merchants or at Piece Halls. Many families lived entirely in one, heated room in the property and retained the upper chambers of the building for spinning and weaving the woollen fibres. Many of the buildings constructed prior to the 19th century display features associated with this semi-industrial use and loading (taking-in) doors at first floor level are a common sight on older buildings, such as those around Dockroyd Farm.
Oakworth Hall is one of the oldest surviving buildings in the conservation area and was probably built around the end of the 17th century. The hall is a Grade II listed building and was probably built for a wealthy Yeoman farmer. It was owned by James Haggas in 1742, who probably bought it as a farm but used the outbuilding for textile manufacture and storage. Now in residential use, the buildings still display an interesting evolution of form that documents their previous agricultural and semi-industrial uses. The hall itself is an interesting example of the local vernacular building form and the cottages to the south still display details such as loading doors and external staircases to the upper floors of the buildings (Oakworth Village Society, 1997).
By the late 18th century wool and worsted manufacture was a major industry in the Worth Valley. In the early years of the Industrial Revolution Haworth, Oxenhope, Oakworth and Stanbury were in the forefront of the supply of processed wool, yarn and cloth in the district, second only to Bradford in terms of output of goods. The new ease of transport combined with the technological advancement of the age spurred on a change in the means of manufacture: the cottage-based industry, which had until this point
9

complemented the agricultural nature of the place, evolved into an increasingly efficient factory-based concern. Similar processes were occurring in many towns and villages throughout the country as a result of the advances of the Industrial Revolution and mills were built in abundance.
By the early 18th century there had been some improvements to the highways in the region with the introduction of the turnpike roads. Prior to this time the roads that transversed the valley were mainly unsurfaced packhorse tracks and footpaths of ancient origin. Oakworth had historically developed along the line of one of these ancient route ways and was located on one branch of the main road from Lancashire to Yorkshire. This road, which may have been partially setted with stone flags due to its relative importance as a principal route, was documented in one of the first records of the districts highways, a book by John Ogilby, written in 1675. The development of the toll roads in the middle of the 18th century created more direct routes between the industrial centres thus allowing the Worth valley industries to compete commercially with other cloth-producing centres. An early map of the district surveyed in 1775 shows Oakworth located to the north of the Colne to Keighley turnpike road (which runs through Stanbury and Haworth). Oakworth is identified as by its long linear form and consisted of around two-dozen buildings located to either side of the original Colne/Keighley Road.
Bottom of previous column: This extract from Jeffrey’s Map of Yorkshire, 1775 shows ‘Okeworth’ as a linear settlement scattered along the line of the road (Source: Bradford Library)
Prior to the 19th century Oakworth was made up of a number of separate agricultural and textile manufacturing communities roughly located along the line of the main road. The most populous of these communities were those around Lane Ends and Oakworth Hall. During the course of the 19th century the dramatic expansion of the settlement led to the coalescence of these communities and Oakworth developed into a definable village.
In the early 19th century a number of textile mills were built in and around the village, followed by large numbers of terraced housing for the workers that these mills required. The first mills were built along the banks of the beck that runs down the valley side to the south of the village. In the early years of the Industrial Revolution most of the mills were reliant upon the close proximity of running water that was used to power the water wheels. Engineering advances meant that by the mid-19th century most of the textile mills had been converted to run on steam power. The need to fuel the steam-generating engines resulted in a number of coal pits being dug on the moors above the village.

호스트: Nicole님

  1. 회원 가입일: 2016년 11월
  • 후기 362개
  • 본인 인증 완료
  • 슈퍼호스트
Fun loving, working mother with 3 gorgeous children, and a forbearing husband. We love to travel, visit friends & family, drink, walk, eat, swim..... My motto is Work Hard, Play Harder.

공동 호스트

  • Jonquil
  • Darren

숙박 중 게스트와의 교류

We live on the premises - available to help as and when needed.

Nicole님은 슈퍼호스트입니다.

슈퍼호스트는 풍부한 경험과 높은 평점을 자랑하며 게스트가 숙소에서 편안히 머무를 수 있도록 최선을 다하는 호스트입니다.
  • 응답률: 100%
  • 응답 시간: 1시간 이내
안전한 결제를 위해 에어비앤비 웹사이트나 앱 외부에서 송금하거나 대화를 나누지 마세요.

알아두어야 할 사항

숙소 이용규칙

체크인: 오후 3:00 - 오전 12:00
체크아웃 시간: 오전 11:00
열쇠 보관함(으)로 셀프 체크인
흡연 금지
반려동물 동반 불가
파티나 이벤트 금지

건강과 안전

에어비앤비의 강화된 청소 절차 준수에 동의했습니다. 더 보기
에어비앤비의 사회적 거리 두기 및 관련 가이드라인이 적용됩니다.
난간이나 보호 장치가 없는 높은 곳
등반 또는 놀이용 구조물
일산화탄소 경보기

환불 정책